Professor of Mathematics and
Department of Mathematics
715 Patterson Office Tower
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0027
Office: 967 Patterson Office Tower
Telephone: (859) 257-1405
Main Office: (859) 257-3336
Fax: (859) 257-4078
lee ampersand uky.edu
- Some Papers
- Mathematics Education and Outreach
- General Education
- Fafnir (Drawing by Daniel Lee)
Discrete Math at U.K.
- Department of Mathematics
- Favorite Quotes (with thanks to the Mathematics
- Think deeply of simple things. Arnold Ross Program motto.
The art of doing mathematics consists in finding that special case
which contains all the germs of generality.
- It has been observed that in every human activity experience comes first, and as this experience grows the need for communication motivates development of language. Sadly enough, in our classroom practice we place language first and experience second. We worry about what we should say to help the student "understand". By this we mean to provide the effect of experience through the use of suitably chosen words. Not unexpectedly, the effect is at best only a very pale image of the real thing. Arnold Ross, AMS Notices, October 1999.