University of Kentucky
MA/CS/EGR 537 Numerical Analysis
Section 2 - Spring 2016
MWF 11:00-11:50 in CB 341
Dr. Qiang Ye
735 Patterson Office Tower, Phone: 257-4653, Email: qye3 "at" uky . edu
Office Hours: MWF 2-3 pm
- Numerical Analysis by Walter Gautschi, Birkhäuser, 2011.
Ebook is available for free when on UKY network through springer link SpringerLink.
The course studies numerical algorithms and related theory for solving a variety of mathematical problems. The following topics will be covered:
- Computer arithmetic and condition number
- Polynomial and Spline Interpolation and Approximation
- Numerical Differentiation and Integration
- Finding Roots and Fixed-Points:
- Initial Value Problems for Ordinary Differential Equations:
The course grade will be based on homeworks (55%), a midterm exam (15%) and a final exam (30%).
Some assigned homework problems will require programming. MATLAB (or Octave) is recommended.
For those who have not used MATLAB before, this free book by Moler (Introduction to MATLAB) provides a good introduction. MATLAB also has an extensive
on-line help facility (just type "help" or
"help commandname" in